Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Monday, June 18, 2007

Greydon Square: Atheist Hip-Hop

I just received my copy of Greydon Square's "The Compton Effect" in the mail today - I'd been hoping for a digital download, but figured that a snail mail copy of a CD would be quicker in the long run. Greydon is a student of physics, so although I hope he doesn't give up his day job (we need as many American scientists as possible), I'm also happy for him to keep up his music on the side.

I'm somewhat self-conscious of the fact that as a white guy, the value of my opinion of hip-hop is questionable- and I'll freely admit that my tastes don't run deep in the genre (Common, Kanye West, and The Roots are among the few that I enjoy - aside from the proto-rap of Rudy Ray Moore). That being said, I think it's an album well worth consideration, not only for the well-crafted rhymes and engaging beats, but also for the sheer entrancement of explicitly atheist lyrics. It's clear that even without his message of nonbelief, Greydon's talent would give rise to an equivalent aesthetic, but with it the product carries more emotional force. He's not the first hip-hop artist to adopt an ideological position, but I do believe that he's the first to make that position atheism.

I'm not sure how well he'll be received in the mainstream, but I'm happy to listen to what the guy has to say.

Post a Comment


4 Comments:

At 6/19/2007 12:02 AM, Blogger Aaron Kinney declaimed...

This guy is really cool. His youtube videos kick ass, he is both intellectually intelligent and street smart. I want to pick this album up!

 
At 6/19/2007 7:49 AM, Blogger Zachary Moore declaimed...

Interestingly enough, his political views seem to be suggestive of anarchism...

What makes republicans and democrats any different than bloods and crips?
Absolutely positively nothin.
Bloods wear red, republicans have red states
Crips wear blue, while democrats have blue states
Bloods are right side repubs are right wing
Crips bang left side democrats are left wing
Bloods and crips fight for territory on the streets
Republicans and democrats fight for territorial seats

 
At 6/19/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

Very, very cool...

 
At 12/01/2007 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous declaimed...

I wanted to leave a comment to those who are interested in buying this album:
It's available on iTunes and, if I'm not mistaken, Amazon.com...
I hope this commment is useful =)

 

<< Home