Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Blind Man's Bluff

Blind Man's Bluff is an excellent entry from last month posted on Ex-Christian.net. It really illustrates how Christianity is an epistemic dead-end.

Or, when the question of love is brought up, I am informed that I am forgetting that God is just. But what does his justice look like? “Just” means in accordance with a law. What law does God have to follow? And, when he is merciful, he is deliberately not following the law. In other words, God is not bound by any justice or mercy at all. Since I cannot even see God, talking about some law beyond God (which he does or does not have to follow) that I see even less becomes meaningless.

O.K. got it. Check. Can’t recognize God by justice or mercy.

And I am informed that God defines absolute morality. But then I view actions in the Tanakh that go against the moral intuition he allegedly gave me. Things like asking a person to perform human sacrifice to prove their loyalty. Genocides. Hardening hearts. When I ask about those things, that don’t seem very moral to me, I am told I must accept God as moral, and while it doesn’t appear moral, God had to have a moral reason for it.

O.K. got it. Check. Can’t recognize God by morality.

Post a Comment


1 Comments:

At 3/26/2007 2:27 PM, Blogger Ed declaimed...

If only that was all you had to say to put out the flames of those who say that religion alone gives rise to morality.

My Blog: In Defence of Reason

 

<< Home