Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Monday, November 06, 2006

A Bad Taste in My Mouth


I'm more than a little upset after learning that after I spent Sunday morning trying to stick up for Ted Haggard with the North Texas Freethinkers, he was saying this:

There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life. For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom. Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach.
I feel like such a fool for arguing that it should be acceptable for someone like Ted Haggard to explore his sexuality, when the man himself can't even understand it as anything but "repulsive." And yet, I still can't shake the feeling that Haggard is a victim here too, albeit a perpetrator as well. I find it just so unfortunate and tragic that for Haggard to maintain any semblance of a relationship with his church, he has to condemn an innate aspect of himself, one that if given free exercise, wouldn't hurt anyone. I also feel terrible for his wife, for being an unwilling participant in his efforts to combat his innate homosexuality by adopting the trappings of "normal" life.

This whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Post a Comment


4 Comments:

At 11/06/2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Zachary Moore declaimed...

Speaking of bad tastes in my mouth, I wanted to mention the Saddam Hussein death penalty decision. As immoral as the guy was, I don't think that it's improves the situation to commit more immorality. Even though this has the trappings of a modern court system, this just feels too retributional for my taste.

 
At 11/06/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger TV's Mr. Neil declaimed...

Saddam Hussein is being executed for killing fewer people than we killed while trying to capture him in the first place.

 
At 11/06/2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Aaron Kinney declaimed...

That picture is perfect!

 
At 11/07/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Hellbound Alleee declaimed...

Whereas I don't think that Haggard's sexuality is anything but fact, it's not acceptable to remain in the church and condemn homosexuality while exploring it. It's not acceptible in that he was helping to destroy others while destroying himself.

Also, I would never recommend being a gay christian. The practice of trying to find acceptance of sex in the bible (besides the sexual practices of males in power) is nothing but a wild goose chase--as well as deceptive to others who wish to be happy, self-actualized, and a bible-believing christian at the same time. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Same goes for women seeking feminism in the bible. My mother sought it for 30 years.

Ted Haggard should leave the church, lose his faith, and find the morality that was taken away from him.

 

<< Home