Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Question of the Day #61: Responding to ridiculousness

Are there good general guidelines for when to respond to a flimsy argument or just point out its flimsiness?

Referring to my own blog again for an example, a group supporting same-sex civil unions in Colorado is using an ad campaign in which they show a cartoon dog that goes "Moo." This is to apparently make the point that homosexuals are no more bizarre than a dog that moos. (If I were gay, I think I'd be offended.) An anti-same-sex civil unions group responds by pointing out that dogs don't really moo. It seems like the biggest waste of debate energy I've ever heard of.

Post a Comment


At 8/31/2006 8:32 AM, Blogger Zachary Moore declaimed...

Well... in this case there's a lot of political power at stake, and one of the groups is affiliated with Focus on the Family, so it's not all that remarkable.

When I think of ridiculous debates, I'm thinking more along the lines of, "Would Star Trek beat Star Wars?" or "Would KITT beat the General Lee?"

At 8/31/2006 2:04 PM, Blogger breakerslion declaimed...

I think I've picked up some kind of mind virus from the Erisians. My current frame of mind tells me to respond to a ridiculous argument with something even more ridiculous.

Scotty would never fly in anything so stupid as a Deathstar that could be completely destroyed by lobbing a missile into its exhaust pipe. Made a good video game though.

As for the General Lee, it was a 318 c.i.d. Most muscle cars of the day could eat it for breakfast after the first 1/8 mile or so. No turbo, no Hemi, so sad. Everything looks faster on film.

At 8/31/2006 2:15 PM, Blogger BlackSun declaimed...

I think those folks in Colorado need some serious professional marketing help.

At 11/11/2006 8:57 AM, Blogger Scott A. Edwards declaimed...

Dear friends, Now you can help yourself take advantage of the huge frenzy of FREE advertising in your spare time, while in the comfort of your own home. Hook up NOW with this exiting program. Click here: FREE INFORMATION



Create a Link

<< Home