Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Practical atheists and practical Christians

This entry is part of the War on Relativism.

I have mentioned before how many Christians are actually reasonable people who are good neighbours and do not try to impose their anti-values on everyone else. These people I call practical atheists. Although I may disagree strongly with their religion, I have no qualms against them. It is the committed Christians that I consider my enemies.

Do I like all atheists ? Definitely not. Is there such a thing as a practical Christian ? Sure. This is not to say that they are lying about being atheists. I don't think practical Christians are lying any more than practical atheists are. I have no doubt that many practical Christians hate religion as much as I do. And yet they follow a moral system of repression and submission, like fundamentalist Christians do. Their atheism is simply not enough to help them be good people.

There are atheists out there who are relativist whackjobs and try to subject the individual to whatever retarded concept they can come up with. There are even some atheists who believe that Christianity is a fine moral guide (if a recent UK survey is any guide, about half of the non-religious). They want to impose Christianity on children. Those atheists, I don't like at all. Whoever they are, they are despicable and deserve the worst.

I'm not going to point fingers and name names... you know who you are.

The real issue is not really that of religion but of morality. I don't really care if a Christian stays a Christian of his own free will - as long as he realizes what he's supporting. It is individualism that I'm promoting, and this is very much a moral issue. To try to make this an issue of secularism vs religion is justified to a certain extent but also serves to cloud the fundamental issue.

Post a Comment


1 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Zachary Moore declaimed...

I wonder what percentage of Christians are practical atheists. I doubt surveys are very representative.

 

<< Home