Just Ed / The Christian Inner Pig ?
I'm always surprised to see Christians with a sense of humour. And it never surprises me to see horrible Christian humour. Just Ed is not the least funny Christian comic I've ever seen, but close. Here is one example :
Doesn't it look like that woman is trying to run away because she thinks he's a creep ?
Road rage is on the rise, especially in the United States - what's responsible ? Is it just another expression of the helplessness of being trapped in religious belief ? We already know that religion is a factor in expressions of frustration and helplessness like high sexual promiscuity and teen pregnancy, homicide, drug abuse, hate crimes, alcoholism and divorce (while I don't think all these things are bad, high levels can be due to frustration, especially together). This, coupled with hostility towards worldly support and the strong religious prohibition on suicide, means that frustration is expressed dysfunctionally. So it wouldn't surprise me if Christianity has something to do with it.
What do we expect when we brainwash our children into believing that :
* The material world, our only source of absolutes, is subverted and subordinated by God. We can't trust our senses, worldly knowledge, or the power of science.
* There are no moral absolutes or principles, only God's whim. We have no control over our life's meaning - we are puppets of God's whim.
* We are all sinners, we are all evil, and only God can save us from this depraved state.
* We are powerless without God. Sinful thoughts and (in some cases, and according to the Bible) demons can overpower us at any moment.
* Our personal values are evil. Human nature is evil and sinful. The only way to be moral is to enter in conflict against oneself.
* God can strike against people on Earth, or throw them into eternal suffering, for any reason.
Should we be surprised by dysfunctional children, adults and societies, road rage, and school shootings ?
Don't miss my final entry in the "Roman IM" series, just below. Thanks !