Google
 
Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Is Evangelical Atheist turning pomo ?

Evangelical Atheist, in his recent entry about the Cosmological Argument, seems to be turning post-modernist towards Big Bang theory :

The Big Bang is a good theory. There’s a lot of evidence that it’s an accurate model. It looks right on paper, but it’s an unsatisfying answer. It’s not enough.

(...)

We will probably not learn the truth about the origin of the universe in any of our lifetimes.


My answer :

1. You don’t seem to understand Big Bang theory very well. The singularity did not “sit around”. I would recommend you read more on the topic before passing judgment on it.

2. Your basic argument seems to be that no solution satisfies your feelings. The question arises : WHAT solution would satisfy you ? What would it take for you to be satisfied ? If you answer this question honestly, you’ll understand why you’re wrong.

Evangelical Atheist, you’re acting like a Christian. This is very dissapointing. Have you examined your position at all ? Please make a new entry and tell us what it would take to convince you of the validity of Big Bang theory (which, I remind you, while still not complete, is backed up by all the empirical evidence we have). Do you deny that structures of matter as we know them come from an expansion of spacetime from a primitive state ? Yes or no ? Why ? What would convince you ?


There are feelings and there are facts. If I can't face the facts regarding something because I don't feel good about it, then I just shut up and wait for a later time. I don't reify my feelings into material facts. The universe doesn't give a shit about your satisfaction.

Well here's my feeling : I feel very disappointed at Evangelical Atheist's post. I thought he was a rational person. To reify feelings above scientific fact is not the kind of thinking I want to sanction. Now, here's the problem - the origin of this dissatisfaction is Christian thought, which says that there has to be an "ultimate answer" to everything. So in challenging him to tell us what it would take to change his mind, I'm trying to get him to see the Christian premises underlying his dissatisfaction. I'm looking forward to seeing his answer.

Post a Comment


2 Comments:

At 11/19/2005 9:09 PM, Blogger Nielsio declaimed...

CC, can I ever expect a definition of what is is you believe?

 
At 11/20/2005 12:16 AM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

I deleted ConmcernedCatholic's comments because 1. he has demonstrated a basic disrespect of atheists, 2. he has never had anything to contribute except whining and 3. he's a Catholic. As fas as I'm concerned, he's a cultist who needs a deprogramming, not a sane person.

 

<< Home