Internet Goosing the Antithesis

Saturday, January 14, 2006

God of War

I watched a war movie last night entitled "Saints and Soldiers". It's about a band of Allied soldiers trying to deliver important information behind enemy lines during WWII. That's the main plot anyway. One of the few sub-plots centers around an American missionary (that was in Germany before the war) turned soldier, and an atheist in the foxhole next to him.

I like war movies. I like realism and the emotions and courage displayed in life or death situations. War movies, if they are good, can reflect the best and worst in people.

I understand religion is and can be one of the few comforts afforded a soldier during one of the most horrific and dangerous events that one can be a part of (that is yet another problem with religion as far as I am concerned. Religion makes dying for your country that much easier to accept and makes one do things he might not consider doing). That goes for any war. My beef with this particular movie is how once again the Christian soldier was portrayed as being right and the atheist was seen as rude, arrogant and unsure of his disbelief. There is no room left for doubt in this movie. The Christian soldier thought it a miracle when he shot at and missed a German soldier who turned out to be a friend during his missionary days (already unbelievable for a story that claims to be based on actual WWII events). He exclaimed "I never miss. I never miss." Then, ofcourse, the German soldier helps them escape later when they are surrounded by the enemy and happen to run into him first.

The atheist starts to question the sanity and reliability of the Christian soldier because the Christian soldier had accidentally killed some women and children earlier and seems unable to reconcile this with God, all the while hallucinating from lack of sleep and pointing his gun at everyone.

The Christian snapps back with "For not caring about religion, you sure are curious". Yup. That's it. The atheist was just in denial. It couldn't have been that he feared for his and his comrades' safety and questioned the Christian's sanity.

Ofcourse their experiences bring them closer together and eventually the Christian soldier is killed while giving cover fire to the atheist and another guy. And ofcourse, the Christian sees the ghosts of the kids he killed earlier as he dies. This is enough for the atheist to later take the bible from the dead Christian's pocket and to start reading it (I'm sure that was in God's plan. The Christian must die to bring a heathen to God).

I wouldn't have been as upset if the director would have presented this sub-plot without giving an obvious nod in favor of the Christian. The way he presented it gave the viewer a definate side to favor and once again gave atheists a bad image.

It adds credence to the old chestnut that there are no atheists in foxholes like these guys:

Post a Comment


At 1/14/2006 11:10 PM, Blogger Clarence the Theologian declaimed...

I'm impressed. Before I enter the fracas with total strangers, I see that you are intelligent, as persons made int heimage of God, I would expect that. I also hear some old cliches (from many of the other posts), as I used to be an atheist (like Antony Flew). You may have answered these questions before, but tell me for my own curiosity, as an atheist, what are the preconditions for knowing anything? How are you certain that you know what you do (without an arbitrary appeal to regulation in so-called natural laws)? And lastly, why should I be a good person? You can rant about all this in a post if you like, I hope you are one of God's lost sheep and not like Pharoah, hearing me only to be hardened further in unbelief (See Romans 1 and Romans 9 in the New Testament).

At 1/15/2006 12:45 AM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

I have no intention to engage you, but I would simply like to point out that you are lying. There is no such thing as an ex-atheist.

At 1/15/2006 6:27 AM, Blogger Morgan declaimed...


in the time that you say you were an atheist, what did you believe re: god, the supernatural etc? Why did you change your mind? In changing your mind, why did you choose Christianity (as I assume, based on your biblical references and icon, you did)?

At 1/15/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger The Atheist Messiah declaimed...

Don't you think you're coming on a little strong clarence? At least buy me a drink before I get the Spanish Inquisition!

Are you fresh out of Godschool or what?

I like your eagerness, but I don't have the time or the desire to answer involved questions (intended to control and direct a conversation)from a theist stranger who's intentions don't sound completely honest.

At 1/15/2006 2:07 PM, Blogger breakerslion declaimed...

"Based on a True Story" is a much-abused label these days. If taken at face value, as many non-critical thinkers would do, it masks as wide a departure from the facts as the writer wishes to introduce for "artistic license". In other words, total bullshit can and has been "based on a true story". I would bet that the atheist in this story is dead, and cannot be questioned for his side of the events, if he ever existed at all.

Clarence: Not my blog, so I'll only make a single observation. You insult the entire Human Race when you refer to us as "sheep".

At 1/16/2006 12:01 AM, Blogger The Atheist Messiah declaimed...

breakerslion, I figured "based on a true story" simply meant WWII. I wondered if the main characters were even real people. I even questioned the mission.

I never understood the sheep thing either. The analogy seems insulting fromany point-of-view. The use of the fish is another one (I've read about how many Christians were fishermen).

That is why I gave my blog the address "god is for fish and sheep", implying God is for mindless animals.

At 1/16/2006 7:46 AM, Blogger Mindthaw declaimed...

Clarence: I don't think you'll get any rational discusion out of these folk, I have been poking around here and see only children playing at logic. Questions about how one comes to "know" about anything are nonsense to them, they simply assume they are wise. Pathetic.

At 1/16/2006 6:53 PM, Blogger breakerslion declaimed...

Dear Mindslush,

You're right about one thing, you don't think. Keep poking. Eventually, you might actually read something that jumpstarts your brain. I won't bet on it.

You know what you know through information input. Either you read it, saw it, experienced it, or someone told you. Or, would you have us believe that you were born speaking in tongues or something? There are other answers to your question, and some of them fall into the realm of theological mindfuck. You believe what you want to believe in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. We believe what appears to be scientifically valid and supportable. If a better explanation were to come along tomorrow, we would accept it. You will never accept anything but your own dogma. You believe that, because your ancestors accepted something, it must be right. We believe that your ancestors were ignorant, superstitious, greedy bastards that have little to offer modern society except an endless medicine-show money machine.

We assume nothing. As for pathetic, to borrow a phrase, these blogs are mirrors. When a monkey looks in, no sage looks out.

At 1/16/2006 7:55 PM, Blogger Mindthaw declaimed...

Breakerslion: How can you possibly fail to see that everything you wrote to me is assumption?

At 1/17/2006 4:43 PM, Blogger Francois Tremblay declaimed...

Mindfuck : that's nothing. Everything YOU write is bullshit !

To paraphrase 2 Live Crew, get the fuck out of my blog.

At 2/13/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger Clarence the Theologian declaimed...

Wow--I forgot that I made a post here. Beautiful . . . I have said this elsewhere, I agree with Kant, without God, i.e. a transcendental source of absolutes, ALL IS ARBITRARY. Hume stated this problem quite clearly: there is no way to verify the "rightness" of belief--in anything. So, the collective filth against God is senseless and cannot be verified other than random opinions. We are all right! Now, I really do not believe that. Let me address some comments:

Mr. Tremblay, I am no longer an athiest, because God infallibly saved me. The Bible informs that God chose me from the foundation of the world and he gave me faith (Eph. 2.8), belief (Phil. 2.9) and the gift of repentence (2 Tim. 2.25). Without those good gifts, I would be lost in the morass of opinions as you all are still. I'll pray for you . . .

Mr. Morgan,

When I was an atheist, I was a fan of Sartre, Nietzsche and Heidegger; A rabid existentialist, that is. I agreed with Sartre, "Since there is no god, there is no difference in helping an old woman cross the street or pushing her if front of a truck." Being authentic was the only ethic, that is, being true to oneself. Good and bad are all theoretical nonsense, along with aliens, darwin, evolution and creation--whatever for whoever. It's all good.

Mr. Messiah,

Now that's good. Why not make more ad hominem attacks. that helps the situation. Why not call me "dumb" to add to your argument for your non-belief in God? All that empirical data and such. No, I'm not fresh out of Godschool. This discussion is after three theological degrees, so no, I'm not "fresh out." I like the sarcasm, but it doesn't help your cause.

Mr. Breakerslion,

In a darwinian universe, your insults are my complements. All is arbitrary my friend, or do we agree that those words mean anything--or can we?

I do appreciate how this whole discussion degenerates into mindless name-calling. How scientific and such. But alas, I will leave you with again my point: All this is meaningless without a transcedent source of meaning-making. He saved me, as i noted above. I can't prove that to you and neither can any Christian, but it is existentially undeniable to me. I'll tell you again what the Bible says, since through it, you may be granted belief as well: Repent and believe the Gospel, it is your only hope. God does not grade on a curve. You have offended Him and either you will cling to Christ and escape God's wrath or you will mock Him and receive His sure justice. God keeps His promises sirs.



Create a Link

<< Home